Thursday, January 15, 2009

Interesting Use of Podcasting

Welcome back to SMAC! I hope you had a wonderful break and are getting back into the swing of things. We are all getting ready for student teaching. Do you feel like you are up to your ears in planning? I do. However, actually engaging in the planning process has helped me get excited about teaching this semester. I am really looking forward to it now.

I have been spending time looking through various resources and searching for innovative activities and instructional techniques as part of my planning. I found this website about an innovative way of instruction used by two Chemistry teachers in Colorado. They are using video podcasts in their classes. They have the students watch the lecture via "vodcast" the night before. The next day they spend about 10 minutes discussing the lecture and the remaining time can be spent on guided practice and lab activities. I think this is a great way to teach Chemistry and I am thinking about trying it for one of my units this semester. Often, Chemistry teachers have to spend class time transmitting information and then the students are left on their own that night to try to apply their knowledge via practice problems. As I have been planning, I have been thinking about a way to open up more class time for guided practice and application. Maybe I have found a way! Check out the site -

http://www.educationalvodcasting.com/

Stay warm!

2 comments:

Jeff Stanzler said...

I heard these guys interviewed on a podcast, and while I haven't found that podcast, I stumbled about a CBC show called Spark on which they were interviewed. Here is the site
I'll be very interested to hear if you decide to experiment along these lines.

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

This is a very controversial issue in education--to podcast lecture or not to podcast?! Some feel that by podcasting a lecture then what is the purpose of coming to class? But I think your post points to better ways to use class time and even extending the amount of content through podcast lectures! I agree with Jeff, let us know if you try this!