I recently used a classroom response system to conduct a test review in Accelerated Chemistry. For those of you not familiar with these systems, they allow you to project questions (from a bank of questions that you create) onto a screen. Students then use remote control type devices to register their responses to the questions. There is a receiver at the front of the room that detects students responses. After students have responded, the teacher can display the correct answer and also some statistics (# responding correctly, number who chose each possible answer, etc. ). This is not necessarily cutting-edge technology for the classroom but I have found it to be quite useful and the students have really enjoyed it!
Before I used this system, I read some papers on using clickers in the classroom effectively. Students like using the system since it seems like a game to them but they also like that their answers are anonymous. They feel more freedom to answer questions in this way since no one will know if they got them wrong. It also gives the instructor an instant assessment of whether students understand the concepts being presented.
However, the papers I read talked about how the most effective part of using classroom clickers is the discussion that it generates. I found this to true when I used them in my class. I told the students they could discuss the questions before they answered and then we discussed the correct answers together after everyone had responded. I was surprised at how much discussion was generated. Before students "buzzed in" they were talking with their classmates, comparing calculations, and actually teaching each other. They were talking about chemistry and I was not forcing them to do so! I loved it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay, you might have just sold me on clickers. Before reading your post, I was feeling a bit "meh" about the whole thing. I can't think of another word to describe it other than "meh."
But I like the whole spawning discussion bit. My mentor asks for votes on common misconceptions and then has them support their answers. There are a number of students who don't participate though. I like anonymous - maybe that would help.
(-:
This is very interesting, Cristi. It's almost like the clickers turned it both into a game, as you suggest, but added a level of authenticity to it ("this is serious now") I also love the observation you brought in from the article about the use of clickers making it safer to be wrong. I'm sure that we only underestimate the reticence to participate that is linked to the fear of being wrong in public, at an age when what others think is *especially* important. I hope you'll use them again sometime and that you'll report on the experience if you do, Cristi.
I love the clickers! I had a class with them in college and it made the class worth going to... especially because I borrowed my friends and I didn't have to buy it. You are so lucky you have these at your school, I hope I can use those someday to teach.
Post a Comment