Thursday, July 31, 2008

We have seen the future...

Today we met with some of last years MACers. What a treat to see that they survived this program and are embarking on their teaching careers. I really appreciated their advice and will take much of it to heart. Can you believe that will be us next year?

As I look back on our first six weeks in this program, I am amazed at all we have accomplished. At the information session last April, one of the MAC students said, "This program is like eating an elephant. You can't eat the whole elephant at once but you just concentrate on eating one piece at a time." I guess we just ate our first few serving of elephant....Enjoy your break!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom did have a good time today, and I do think some of her teacher knowledge rubbed off on me while I was writing my exam!

I can't believe the first 6 weeks are already over! Time flew by so fast, and so many of the previous SMACers said that the next two semesters will do the same.

I really like that elephant metaphor!

Enjoy your break! Relax!

Lisa said...

I like the elephant metaphor in theory....but the thought of eating an elephant is a bit much to handle. Not the fact that is is a huge animal, but more the fact that it's...well..an elephant. Female elephants (in heat) are quite possibly the most dangerous animals on earth. Random fact, but all this talk of elephants reminded me of that.

Lynne said...

It was fun to see all of you "new MACers" and think back over the past year. I hope for all of you that you are able to enjoy the fall and being in camups - it goes by VERY quickly! My personal motto last year was borrowed from A.A. "One day at a time". Don't look too far ahead and get overwhelmed... enjoy the opportunity to be a student and to watch expert teachers. Absorb as much as you can. Make time for your kids and husband too! Tom is such a great mentor! Call me if you ever need anything! Lynne

Stephanie said...

Gosh, it does feel like eating an elephant most of the time. I think the biggest thing that I am learning is that I need to just keep on taking small bites, chewing, swallowing, and repeating the process. Sometimes if I look up from this program (like the 3 weeks we had off) I realize how much I have yet to go and I start thinking I need to take bigger bites! AAHH HOW ARE WE GOING TO FINISH AN ENTIRE ELEPHANT?!! But the fact of the matter is, the bigger the portions I shove in my mouth, the longer they take to chew and swallow. So it is better to just take small bites and do it again and again. We've all got to be through at least a leg by now!