Friday, July 25, 2008

Socrates & Science...?

Yesterday we spent an entire morning learning about Socratic seminars. We then spent the entire afternoon participating in a Socratic seminar and critiquing our efforts. This was my first exposure to this method and I found it fascinating. However, as I walked to the parking garage with Socratic seminar information still rolling around in my head, I began to think about how I could use this technique in my chemistry classes...after all, I don't want the students coming to their OWN knowledge about say, exothermic reactions.......KABOOM!! Yikes.

As I pondered the applicability of the Socratic seminar, I was thinking about letting the students role play during the Socratic seminar. For example, we might look at some famous scientist or inventor from history whose work was seen as ridiculous or scandalous or unbelievable and try to view the issue as people would have seen it at that time. I could assign some historical texts to use in the seminar and assign the kids to either "side" of the argument. Or I could present them with a "text" I created containing a description of a scientific study and have them discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the study based on the text and the knowledge they have gained in the class. I don't have all the details worked out in my mind but I was thinking these might be ways to use this method in a science class without endangering the lives of others. :-)

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

There is a small discussion (on which I left a silly rant) on Eugenie's CTools about science and discussions about things like class and stuff. I wonder if the Socratic Seminar style would work well in that instance.

Sometimes I get frustrated when something cool comes up and it is focused towards Language Arts or something and not at all science/math.
Sigh

MGoDan said...

I had the same thoughts as you two. namely, 'how the heck will this work in a science class?'

i've heard of the socratic method before, but not applied to a seminar formatted discussion. it seems like a strange combination to me.

Katie said...

good call, Cristi! I'm sure you'll be a safe teacher :)
you could discuss science & ethics in a Socratic seminar...

Lynne said...

Yeah, where does all that MAC / 402 stuff fit with Chemistry anyway... A question we asked ourselves a lot last year...

I never did incorporate a socratic seminar into Wayne Memorial Chemistry - but I would encourage you to try. I think that a "related to Chemistry" discussion, perhaps about energy / global warming / alternate fuel sources might be an opportunity. I do like your idea about historical figures in science - keep working on that one too!

I really liked your idea about a class wiki. You could probe prior knowledge and then be able to review back at the end of the unit on how much knowledge was gained or changed. Be sure you try any technology out for yourself on the library laptops and have back-up plan in case the internet goes down... I was burned by that once! Good luck & good ideas!

Lynne