Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bloggin' for A Purpose

I have to admit that most of my experience with Blogs gave me the impression that they involved a bunch of people sitting around typing things about themselves. This activity seemed a bit self-absorbed to me so I never became interested in Blogging. Plus, I don't have much spare time (and even less now thanks to MAC!) so I would always ask myself, "WHEN would I do that?!" Well, here I am giving it a try!
Since this is relevant to my goal of becoming a teacher and will help prepare me for the technological world my students are growing up in - I actually do think I will enjoy it. (For you English majors, I realize I just ended a phrase with a preposition but hey, this is MY Blog). I am very excited about EDUC504 and the chance to explore all the new technology that was not a part of my high school experience. I know this will be useful in my teaching career. At the same time, I also appreciate the opportunity to start understanding the kind of technology-rich environment my own children are facing . I hope they are impressed when they realize Mom knows how to Blog too!

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Hi Cristi,
I felt the same way about blogs as well at first. I thought that it also seemed somewhat self absorbed. Additionally, I always thought, who would even read it?? But so far, in this class, I have enjoyed it. I also thought it is a cool way to get out my thoughts, and it is neat that they are accessible for other people to read them. Anyway, I am also excited about EDUC504!
Autumn
PS. From an English major, no worries about ending with a preposition... I think that is really difficult as well!

Lynne said...

Hi Christi!

Well, I agree that your assessment of blogs as being something I never had time for! I think that by making the 504 blog comments an "assignment" it pushes all of the MACers to post and to read each other's comments.

What I did like about my blog last year is that it serves a a type of journal about how you are feeling and what you are trying out in the program. Several MACers last year used their blogs as a way to post their ideas / experiences or to ask questions about teaching. In this way I thought they were very effective.

I could use a blog right now from a student the year before me to tell me how to begin lesson planning for "real" and to get me out of procrastination mode! My kids are too young to blog, but there are a lot of cool ones out there that are fun to read - check out soulmama!

Jeff Stanzler said...

Cristi, I'm happy to read Lynne's response to your blog, as she very compellingly describes one of the functions that Liz and I hope that blogging will serve for you...gentle coercion to chronicle your evolving thinking as you make your way through the year. Then, as a bonus, you have some caring colleagues (and new friends like Lynne) off of whom to bounce your ideas.
Thanks for giving this enterprise the benefit of the doubt, Cristi!

Rebekah said...

Funny you should mention mothers and blogs. I just talked my own mother (a former teacher) into looking at my blog and possibly even posting though I'll believe it when I see it.
Mostly she is interested in the idea of the blog and the classroom rather than in the random things I am posting about. About which I will post.
(-8