Sunday, March 15, 2009

Differentiated Instruction Through "Vodcasts"

Well, I am giving differentiated instruction a try this semester. I have created a website for my Accelerated Chemistry classes. On this site, I have the agenda for the current unit and I am creating video podcasts that go along with the chapters we are studying. These "vodcasts" contain highlights of important concepts from the chapters and I also work extra example problems for the students. As needed, I go back and review material related to frequent mistakes I see students making or whatever. Although these resources are available to all students, I am hoping that struggling students will watch these vodcasts and improve their comprehension (sort of an automated way for me to re-teach struggling students!). I offer 5 extra points for turning in good quality notes from the vodcasts as an incentive for students to take advantage of these resources. We just started this with the current unit of study but I am hoping this will be an effective way for me to implement differentiated instruction into my teaching. You can check out my website at -

www.teachuchemistry.com


Enjoy the sunny weather!

1 comment:

Jeff Stanzler said...

This is very exciting, Cristi. What an exciting dimension to introduce to your class. You have a pleasant, engaging way of presenting ideas, you have a great sense of pace, and you obviously know your stuff. It isn't hard to see where your students would benefit from your work, but I have another question. I could well imagine someone looking at this and saying "yes, but this is so much extra work for me as a teacher!" Based on your experience so far, I'd be curious about your response to this. I'm sure that it IS a lot of work, but are there benefits for you? Is it simply altruistic, or is there more to the story?